Research paper writing is definitely not easy. We all commit mistakes in some way or the other. Some of them can be corrected during the time of editing or self-editing. But there are some mistakes that should never be done and should be corrected from the very beginning or else they will bring us mountains of trouble later.
Common Mistakes in Research Paper Writing:
- Lingering papers. There is generally a page limit when we submit our paper to a conference or journal. Several reviewers will dislike the work if the page limit is dishonored. The reason behind it is that reviewers are busy reviewing many papers and they do not want to spend their time in making it fit within the page limit.
- Proofreading and illegible papers. A paper should be written well and the author should proofread it before submission. In some cases, certain unreadable papers look like they were automatically translated by the help of internet. These papers get rejected for sure.
- Plagiarized content in the paper. A paper that contains text copied from another paper minimizes your chance of being accepted. The texts in your papers should be written only by your own Research paper writing style. It is easy on the part of a reviewer to detect plagiarism using various plagiarism detection software.
- Information those are irrelevant. In some papers, we find information that are irrelevant and of least importance.
- Stating the research problem. In a research paper, it is very much important to state the problems that are really important and challenging. The Research paper writing style of the author needs to be modified in order to please the reviewer, by giving a brief description to the problem and the solutions derived from the study.
- Paragraphs should flow lucidly. It is important that all the parts of the research papers are interconnected by a “flow”. Each and every part must feel logically connected to the next parts when the reviewer reads it.
MISTAKES TO BE AVOIDED
While writing a research paper, there are some traps that students or researchers fall into. Some have been listed below:
- Dearth of research before choosing a thesis subject.
Sometimes, out of stress, students rush their selection of subject. As a result of which their focus suffers greatly, and a reflection of this comes in their Research paper writing style. The important steps in writing a successful research statement is first doing a good research and choosing an appropriate subject that they can well connect to. Doing this will ultimately gift you a successful paper.
- Dearth of a strong thesis statement.
The next step is creating a strong thesis statement. Importance of research paper writing a clear and focused research statement needs to be understood by the author.. It should be based on a topic that grounds further discussion.
- Unable to make proper connections between the research statement and supporting statements.
The structure of a research paper flows from the research statement followed by the supporting statements, which account the body.
- Dearth of strong, relevant data.
All supporting statements in a paper should be corroborated by relevant sources which prove the point of view put by the research statement. Your supporting statements should plump out your original thesis statement and have a strong basis.
From the above discussed points, it is clear that research paper writing can be simplified to some extent if we are wise enough. Keeping these points in mind we should proceed towards our research writing. The huddles will definitely be minimized and we can get a successful research work at the end.
Writing a review article is a valuable piece for those who search for summary of various research studies without spending time to find results by themselves. Writing a good review paper always provides its readers with unbiased information. It provides its reader with a clear justification of why the study is valid or not valid.
Objectives of a review article must be to achieve an organization and combination of previous works around the chosen field to speed-up the assimilation of recent knowledge into the existing one. A review article must me clear and accurate. It should also have a good standard of writing.
Let us discuss about some tips on how to write a review paper.
Review papers are not original studies and it just assimilates the study outcomes of the studies. A meta-analysis is a type of quantitative review. It collects data from various other studies to conclude its subject. An ideal review always focuses on a theme. The narrative review article is easy to read and understand whereas the systematic review is a detailed literature survey that is done on a selected topic.
Preparation of manuscript is another major part of writing a review article. The length of the journal always varies depending upon the guidelines provided by the author. The most common guideline which almost all journals ask is a specific font and size to be used. The article structure should have a defined structure. The title page must contain a main title. The title length must not be a lengthy one and must be short, precise and crisp. The title should contain the key elements of the subject matter. The length of the abstract should be between 200-250 words and there should be no citations in the abstract. The introduction part should be a discussion of the subject matter and should also address the objective of conducting the review. It is better if it is written in the present tense. The conclusion part must discuss the objective that is discussed in the introduction.
Here are some of the suggestions on how to write a review article. These tips may help you in polishing your writing while writing a review paper.
For an editor or writer who is concerned about getting his manuscripts published, self editing is most important among any other skills.Once the initial draft is written, the author should start correcting his own writing until the manuscript has produced a number of drafts and its final draft looks great.
The research paper should easily depict the intentions of author to his readers very lucidly.Submitting a highly polished and self-edited paper does the following three things:
1)It simplifies the work of the editors or peer reviewers.
2) To estimate better about the paper’s validity.
3)It also fuels the chance of acceptance of the paper for publication.
How to self edit the research paper
After completing a manuscript, a researcher must not hasten to submit it. The researcher should continue further working on it. Get the manuscript published only after all the goals are achieved.
Print the research Paper
It is necessary for a researcher to keep a hard copy of the manuscript all the time. This will help in checking things that varies from what that has been typed on his/her computer. This will help in refreshing the eyes of the researcher and in becoming “detached” from own work. This should be done thoroughly before submission of the manuscript to the target journal.
Take a Break
Take a break for few hours after completing the first draft. The researcher will get to see the paper with fresh opinion when returning to the paper. It will be trouble-free for the writer to spot out his mistakes and sentences with mistakes. Never try to completely revise the research paper at-a-time. Allow yourself to have several days or week to complete it.
Read the Paper Out Loud
It should be soft and pleasant when you read the research paper loud. If you trip over it and something that does not make any sense, mark that immediately and move on. After getting the reading part done,start editing the marked parts and re-read.
Imagine you are the Reviewer
The researcher has to detach himself as the author for effective self editing of the manuscript. He has to play the role of a normal layman who have never read it before.The initial writing part of the manuscript is the easiest part. The original work is to qualitatively improvement in the research paper so that it can transparently communicate the message to the peer reviewers about what the researcher wants. This will be done by the self editing process. Hence, the manuscript should be send out to others for review only after the writer is convinced….